The Old Curmudgeon

These are my writings, letters to the editor, and thoughts all gathered in one place.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Lake Charles, Louisiana, United States

Georgia Tech Grad. Veteran. Retired, Writer.

Monday, October 09, 2017

VA Benefits


Dear editor:

I must take exception to the letter in the Sunday, October 8, 2017 edition headlined, “Veterans drafted between 1957-’63 deserve benefits.” The writer claims to have a fact sheet from Sen. Bill Cassidy claiming this hardship for our veterans exists.  He’s wrong, and I can only use myself as an example.  I’m sure thousands more can say the same. 

Two years after finishing college (Georgia Tech,) I was drafted in September 1960 and served two years active duty.  In September 1966 I received an Honorable Discharge after completing my reserve portion of duty. This obviously falls within the parameters of what Sen. Cassidy wants to correct.  But, he’s very wrong. 

In the summer of 1972 I bought my first house with an excellent VA loan.  Today I receive medical benefits from the Veterans Administration including all my medications which saves me between $300 and $350 per month.  Shortly I will be receiving my first hearing aids.  I have full coverage and am thankful for it. 

Yes, as the letter writer said, “these veterans should be strongly considered to be awarded the benefits they earned and deserve.” We should, and we do with appreciation.  Someone should tell Sen. Cassidy.

 

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home